Tuesday 25 June 2013

Megan Rodgers - Proposal

The UAL Foundation course has provided me with the opportunity of experimenting in different pathways within art and design. The course has expanded the way in which I can present my ideas and concepts including editing photographs and drawing with light in photography, using drawing in scratch film, screen printing and dry point print and etching, and observational drawing in the life drawing classes.

I have decided to focus mainly on drawing on the course most recently because I consider this to be a media I have found most interesting to use. I have experimented with a number of different subjects, materials and processes so far. I went to a farm and made drawings of animals and then developed them in to print and used them as a subject for further drawings. I also worked in the life room drawing the figure and extended this by making drawings outside of college of my family and friends.

The Final Major Project will allow me to use skills I have learnt and build on them. I want to continue with observational drawing of the human figure and portraiture. Initially using photography as a starting point to produce drawings, I aim to ultimately make large scale drawings and paintings which will be the main focus of my final exhibition. I could also develop from drawings further into 3d and drawing with other materials.

Some struggles I may come across throughout my project might be working out of my sketchbook onto a much larger scale. I feel the subjects and media I have chosen to use is quite accessible because as I will be working on portraiture and there are people there who are willing to be drawn. I will be able to buy materials easily by ordering online, for example or visiting the local art sale. I will use a variety of techniques and materials. Initially photography and then collage, drawing using oil, acrylic, charcoal and painting in order to further develop and explore my ideas and images.

I will research into the work of a variety of artists whose work is concerned mainly with the figure including Frank Auerbach – quick drawings, Marlene Dumas, Tom Philips, Richard Billingham, Elizabeth Peyton, Alice Neel, Jenny Saville, Cecily Brown, Tracey Emin, Sarah Lucas, Gillian Wearing, Sam Taylor Wood. I am currently researching into the work of Richard Billingham’s photography ‘Ray’s a laugh’ and his video ‘Fishtank’ - he records his close family. Gallery visits will also help me with research into my project.

I will reflect on my work using my notebook and blog. Also tutorials with my tutors and crits with other students will help me progress further with my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment