Tuesday 18 September 2012

Roundabout - Photography & Textiles

Photography - Karlton 09:30 - 12:00

We were to produced; in groups of two, photographic imagery using the theme of drawing with light. We set up the photography studio standing polystyrene boards in rows. We watched a youtube clip on drawing with light for inspiration


We set the camera for a 30second exposure to capture the drawings we made with the light sources. I had the idea of using this metal sheeting - it created a blurred light opposed to bold strokes of the torch light. The more time the metal sheeting were held there, the more prominent it became. I didn't particularly like the youtube clip because of the neon lights a bold strokes but I thought that I could have a try with my own ideas to make it into some more appealing. I worked with Genna Dean;


Here I held a lighter behind a translucent plastic sheet at different positions.
 
 

  


 


 

 
Here one example of using a combination of the metal sheet and a torch.
 

 
 

 
Here I used the flash light at different points as she crawled up the steps.
 

 
 
 
 
Using the flash light at each movement of the fabric.
 


 
Others:
 

 


 


 


 


 


 



 



(PM)Textiles - Danielle Longhi 13:00 - 15:30

Objective - To create a series of experimental drawing samples using a range a papers. Your focus should consider surface and textures.

We were to consider;

  • Line - straight, curved, broken, organic, crisp, thick-thin, continuous.
  • Texture - smooth, eroded, flat, varied, rough, opague, transparent, gritty, sleek.
  • Colour - blended, solid, broken, greyed, dusty, bright, subdued, layers.
Danielle showed us some examples of peoples work using a variety of textures and techniques - using ink, sewing, collage, drawing etc.

An image was projected onto the table where I placed my A1 paper.
 
 

The first image projected were some leaves. I experimented only with protein dyes to create my own impression of the leaves. when I used too much bleach and the paper became saturated. The darker ink all faded away so I waited till the paper dried to rework the paper with more dye.



bleach started to affect the dyes.



After I worked back into the painting


I used found magazine and newspaper and stuck them down following the lines of the projection.

 
Techniques I used; smudging, paint brush, blending, scraping. I worked into the collage using ink, pastel, charcoal and chalk. I thought that in the next session I could work into the collage with the sewing machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment